Please read the configuration page for setting up the LaTeX project structure. Highly recommended.
Please read the PDF/A configuration page for setting up the PDF/A processing. Highly recommended.
The documents are typically edited with
- TeX editors
- generic editors
- hosted cloud services (ShareLaTeX, Overleaf, or even GitLab Web IDE)
The documents are compiled with
- TeX → directly with TeX utilities (pdflatex/xelatex/tectonic) → PDF
- TeX → LaTeX frontend (mklatex, arara etc.) → PDF
- LyX → TeX → one of the previous two → PDF
- LyX → PDF
- Integrated build system (ShareLaTeX / Overleaf) → PDF
- CI/CD pipeline (GitLab) → PDF artifact / publish site
Note: when using TeX utilities directly, you need to make sure the
document has been fully processed. Usually this requires multiple
compilation passes, interleaved with invocations of the auxiliary tools
(glossary & bibliography generation etc.). Using the LaTeX frontend
latexmk) instead are highly recommended.
For more general instructions, this Youtube channel offers free videos on how to use ShareLaTeX. Unfortunately, the techniques listed in the videos may slightly differ from our official recommendations.
- Report bugs via https://gitlab.utu.fi/ttweb/thesis/issues
- LaTeX tutorial: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf
- Overleaf tutorials: https://www.overleaf.com/learn/latex/Tutorials
Few examples of more advanced functionality →